My return to Cassien. Part one. - Jake Langley-Hobbs

Téma Dobrodružství Jakea Langley-Hobbse, publikováno 28. 8. 2013, přečteno 12495x.

My return to Cassien. Part one. American Beach and some new friends.

As I packed and prepared all of my equipment at the Imperial Fishing warehouse in Germany for my big French tour, I had one thing on my mind; Cassien! It had really got under my skin, and as I promised to return for another session at Christmas, then that is what I was jolly well going to do! My quest to catch a 30kg fish from its hallowed banks was not yet finished, and when I put my mind to something I am totally focused. Before the serious aspects of an extreme session got underway, I had been invited to fish a lake called St.Christophe, now under the new management of Korda Developments. This lake has some very big kippers in it, and it is not classed as a ‘runs’ water. Normally the lake is closed from the months of October till March, but as Danny F. had recently purchased it, he was keen to see what stock it had exactly. It was therefore open to guests to fish a week at a time, and I was to fish in the Nick Helleur party. As the temperatures plummeted and the time approached, it was clear it was not fishing particularly well, and on average a couple of fish were being caught each week, by a group of six anglers. This was partly due to the fact that it is not an easy lake, but also due to the fact it is normally closed at this time of year. I think the fish have got used to having no pressure from anglers, and less free food laying around during the normal closure times, so the arrival of anglers and bait during their ‘close season’ probably came as a shock to the inhabitants of the lake! However, there was the odd fish being caught, and Tim Paisleys’ 57lb mirror, caught two weeks before our arrival, had our enthusiasm levels running sky high! 



Preparing my equipment was a military organisation guarded by Charley and Flash!

I left Germany on Wednesday night at 12pm after deciding I would travel through the night. With clear roads it is now my preferred travelling time. I now have a tow bar fitted to the van, which means I can finally use my trailer boat for its other intended purpose; carrying extra equipment on the road. My inflatable fits inside it nicely, along with smelly items I no longer want in the van, hooking mats etc. Driving with a trailer has speed restrictions but this actually reduces my fuel costs, as if I did not know! As I drove up a steep incline out of Traben-Trabach in the general direction of Troyes, I narrowly missed a group of Boar as they appeared from some woods and ran across the road. Damn it! We all could have eaten really well for the coming week!?

Six hours later and after covering 400 km (with a few coffee and dog stops thrown in), I pulled into a small layby and called Nick. He gave me the final directions to our first destination; Blue Water lakes. The owner Jim had kindly given us permission to fish his lake for two nights, as we were not due to start at Gigantica till the Saturday morning. Nick was already set up with his fishing partner Mike Brown, when I arrived bleary eyed, and Mike had already had a few fish. My thoughts were fairly simple, get set up, get the rods out and get some sleep. I managed a small one on the Thursday night and the boys fishing the deeper end of the lake managed a few more. Friday night came and went, and before long we were ready to leave and head for Gigantica. As it is only situated a couple of km up the road, in minutes we were pulling into the complex. There was a hair raising moment minutes before, when ‘super eager’ Nick Helleurs’ inflatable boat literally flew off my roof rack, after insisting to me that it did not need to be strapped down. Fortunately for me, it narrowly missed the innocent driver in a van behind me. Otherwise I could have been writing this from a French prison, after possibly being charged with manslaughter, had that disaster happened and it had gone through his windscreen killing him. Take your own boat in future Nick!



My best fish from my week's backup plan fishing at Lac de Carces and a shade under 40lbs.

News from St.Christophe was as expected; slow! Two fish had been caught during the previous week, and the weather was about to take a turn for the worse. We were in for a bitterly cold week, and possibly snow. Hey ho! I love winter carping, and it just makes it more of a challenge. Needless to say, we all struggled but a good time was had by all. Two fish were caught towards the end of the week, as predicted by onsite bailiff Danny Turtle; including a cracking 47lb PB mirror for Spencer. Gradually, everyone left for their return to the UK, but I decided to stubbornly stay on for another night, in the vain hope of picking up a late carp. Unfortunately, it was not to be, so I left Danny to it and waved goodbye. I was now off to Cassien!

800 kilometres seems a long way, but I am now used to covering these distances. After 10 hours driving, I pulled into the Aviron car park. I had been chatting to someone on the way down, and he had mentioned the water levels were incredibly low. As it was dark when I arrived and I was naturally tired, I slumped across the seats and waited till first light arrived. To say I was shocked when I woke would be an understatement. The lake looked awful. It was at least 4m lower than it had been when I left in June. Fortunately I had a back-up plan; Lac de Carces. I decided I would go and fish there for one week, as it was only 50km away and the fish have suddenly started to get big at Carces! The twenty/thirty pounders that were getting caught ten years ago…well you do the maths! It is also a very pretty place, almost like a small Cassien, narrow and winding with steep fir lined banks. It reminds me very much of the West Arm.


American Beach here we come!

On arrival it was a case of picking a swim, and getting set up. No boats are allowed at Carces, so it would be back to basics. I chose to fish one rod up each margin, and two straight out on the old river bed. Over the next week it was cold and slow going, but I managed three fish to a little under 40lb’s in a 12hour spree. I actually caught these fish along the steep edges; a favourite place for the Carces carp, and they all took very big bright pop-ups. There is a serious crayfish and poisson chat problem here, so be warned if you plan a trip! There are fish to 60lb and many over 40–50, but just like Cassien it can be very difficult and other times it can be seem like a walk in the park. On waters of this nature it is a case of location and timing; and if the fish are having it, you’re in for a good session.

I left Carces and now wanted to get back to Cassien. I had caught one final creature at Carces, a heron, and I seriously don’t advise tangling with one of these. Unfortunately, it got caught up in my braid when it was stalking in the margins at night. I had some bleeps and the bobbin shot to the top. I picked the rod up, and I suddenly felt vertical pulling, and then an awful shrieking sound. I have never heard such a heart wrenching noise, and this poor creature obviously thought his number was up. Fortunately the braid was just wrapped around its wings, so as it sat nervously in the edge, with its beady eyes glaring at me, and that long razor sharp beak perilously close to my eyes; I gingerly cut the braid, and freed it. It managed to peck me on the hand drawing blood, and thinking about it on the drive over to Cassien made me shiver. It could have been much worse?



The cold weather had arrived with a vengeance. This was true winter carp fishing!

It was midday on Tuesday as I pulled into Montauroux. The water levels at Cassien were still low, and it was time to make a decision. Where would I fish? I decided to look down the West arm, towards the reserve, which was open till the end of December. The place was deserted. The North arm was busy, as was the South, and it seemed the low water was keeping most anglers out of the West. I had managed to get a seven day weather forecast and very heavy rain was coming, this is what was needed. It was now getting too late to set up anywhere, and I needed a place to sleep for the night. The van was a possibility, but I fancied a ‘treat’! I then remembered an English run B&B next to the lake called Amboise. Perfect! I would have one night of comfort and a proper hot shower before my mammoth session began.

Amboise is in its seventh year now. The owners Geoff and Sandie are proud to offer three different sized rooms, to cater for all possibilities. All the rooms have their own TV, Wi-Fi, and a well fitted bathroom with shower. Whilst you stay, you are more than welcome to use their great outdoor facilities which include a swimming pool, with sun chairs and parasols, and a terraced kitchen area, with BBQ and grill. I felt very much at home for my one night’s stay. The couple have two dogs themselves, Poppy and Fleur, so Charley and Flash were made to feel most welcome too, and there are ample grounds so they could both stretch their legs!



We watched Charley and Flash play fighting over an early doggy Christmas toy.

If you’re reading this, and you’re a carp angler who likes to fish at Cassien in the summer months; but you also like to travel with your wife or girlfriend? Then this could be a great solution. She can stay at Amboise during your stay, and can pop down and see you during the daytime, as it’s only situated 500m from the lake on the West arm side; meaning you get to stay at the lake overnight, which is allowed, as long as you’re not fishing during the no night fishing period. It could also mean you both get a better week’s holiday, and a little peace and quiet from time to time! Prices start from 51 Euros a night per person which includes a continental breakfast. They also provide an incredibly well tailored, parking service for anglers from Oct-April. For enquiries or bookings call 0033494764655 or email:

Whilst I chatted with Sandie over breakfast, she mentioned Gary Hilson had been at American Beach a few days earlier, and that he had had some success, including a 24kg common. He had apparently moved elsewhere, so I decided American Beach was worth a look. I said my farewells and then popped to get my supplies for the next fortnight from the local shops; fuel, food, dog food, and some good old Christmas fayre! Now it was time to go big carp hunting!!



Always photograph your first carp of the session, as you never know what might turn up next? I actually had a lot to thank this little chap for!

The bad weather, as forecast, had already swept in the previous night; rain, strong winds and more rain. I drove down the track to American Beach. It was still free, so I decided this would be our home for the next two or three weeks. American Beach is situated up the West arm, quite close to the reserve. It has several large bays, and the water gets very shallow in places. Traditionally it is a very good place and better when the water levels are high. It has always been a popular swim. The water levels were still very low, but I was going to take a massive gamble. As much rain was forecast, I figured this would raise the water levels. It was also possible the forecast could be wrong, only time would tell?

I sat in the van, listening to the rain hitting the windscreen for half an hour. This drives me nuts, so I decided to try and get the sleeping bivvy erected; at least I could set the bedchairs up for myself and the hounds. Have you ever tried putting up a big, two man bivvy, in a rain lashed gale? It wasn’t fun and it wasn’t easy, but I got there. The force of the wind blew my overwrap around like a kite. I held on for dear life, and managed to secure it in place, using stumpy stainless banksticks; normal pegs were proving pathetic! With that task finished I got the beds out and there was no alternative but to sleep. I had made it, I had secured the swim, and I was content!



Now we're talking, 24.5kg of Cassien splendour and my second fish of the session. Crack open that champagne Patrik!

I slept through till the following morning, and woke to more driving rain. In the night two Germans had turned up for a ten day stay. They were set up to my right. We were to have some company which would be welcome, and I wandered over to chat to my new neighbours. They looked like two drowned rats, and had arrived at midnight. They had suffered a car crash on the way, and had hired a car to get here; hence they were two very relieved drowned rats! They had noticed I had yet to put my rods out, so I explained I was in no rush as I had all the time in the world. Patrik and Philip had put the rods out in the torrential rain, eager not to miss any opportunity. I was dry and had a nice coffee, they were soaked and shivering. Each too their own I guess!

The water had already started to rise and a torrent of chocolate water was slowly creeping through the arm. Occasionally a fish crashed out, and it seemed the fish were arriving in numbers. I did not realise it at the time, but what I was to witness over the next few days is a bit of a phenomenon at Cassien. The water rises so quickly, as rain water pours in from every nook and cranny, bringing with it debris and lots of food. The carp seem to pick up the scent of this food trail, through the coloured water, and they will come from great distances to investigate. The gamble was starting to pay off! 


This picture clearly shows the debris that was making its way down the arm like an oil slick.

It rained on and off during the day, so using the occasional breaks, I managed to get the rods sorted out and the rest of my modest camp set up. The beauty of American Beach is you can park your transport next to your swim; a luxury and a rarity at Cassien. I don’t mind lugging two boats and two dogs across a lake, but it was my Christmas session and the thought of having less work to do was rather appealing, especially in an ongoing storm. I decided to try my bright pop-ups for the first night, cast as single hook baits. It was far too windy to go exploring in the boat, and I figured hungry moving fish may pick one up on the way through. It was worth a shot!

The following Friday morning it seemed the forecasters had got it wrong. It was sunny and the skies were blue. Patrik had got off the mark with a pretty mirror, and seeing a fish caught raised my motivation levels. It was time to go and find some spots with the echo. There are lots of features in this area, plateaus, margins, the river bed, overhanging trees; you are spoilt for choice. In fact, if you could fish with eight rods, there would still be more tempting places to put another! I opted for one far margin rod, two rods on small central plateaus, and one at range in deeper water off a steep cliff face. With the rods pointing in all directions, I was set. Come on Mr Carp!



My new friend Patrik with just one of four 20kg+ commons he caught in ten days.

During the night nothing happened and we all woke to more sunshine. We all looked at each other! Where was the rain? Patrik had also come to this area on the back of the weather forecast. Maybe the gamble was a bad one? My rods had been out overnight, and I decided leaving them put was the best plan. My English friend Dick arrived with fresh bread, so the kettle was fired up and some breakfast made. As we both sat there watching Charley and Flash play fighting, we noticed the Germans in the boat playing a fish. It was Philip’s first trip to Cassien and he was into his first Cassien carp. There is something very pleasant about seeing someone catching their first Cassien carp; after all it is very special. He was chuffed to bits as we took a few shots of his prize; a mirror around the 30lb mark. As we walked the thirty yards back to my swim, we both noticed a French angler out in his boat, also playing a carp! He had arrived in the night, and was set up to my left. We laughed! I had anglers catching either side of me, sometimes that is the way though and inside I knew it was just a matter of time.

Late Saturday night, the weather took a turn for the worse. Very strong winds developed and more rain was coming. Shortly after midnight on my long range rod, I had a take. The fish was hooked at a range of 300 yards, and was kiting to my left; the boat was needed. It did not want to use it because the wind was blowing hard to my left, but I had no choice as there were some buoys in the water, and the fish was heading towards them. Using the motor on full power I managed to get near to the fish, but I was being blown into the rocks at the edge by the howling winds. There was a drop off and I could feel the braid on the other edge of it. I tried in vain to get the boat back into a good position, just as I did the hook pulled! Sometimes you do everything right and you hook the fish, and then you lose it because the elements are against you. This was one of those times. I felt rather gutted but kind of knew deep down there was nothing I could have done differently. Had the run come an hour earlier I would have had no problems, but the wind was so strong by this point, even the rod could not be repositioned. I climbed back into bed, looked at the drawing board, and decided tomorrow would need a new line of attack.


The first carp caught in the 24hr mini WCC!

Morning arrived and the water was brown, there was debris everywhere; sticks, pallets, logs, trees, plastic objects and even car tyres floating around on the surface. This had been washed in from the river inlet further up the arm, and already it was causing a few problems. We were all having rods taken out by foreign objects, and rods were raised, lowered and sunk throughout the day to combat it. The rain continued to lash down, and the level continued to rise. Patrik by now had caught about five fish all from one spot; a bed of Canadian pond weed, in a depth of 2m on the far margin. I was actually fishing one rod on the same side but further down the arm as it got slightly deeper. The shallowest part I could find close to the edge was 4.5m, just before it shelved off into deeper water. This rod was surely now my best chance of a take?

Fish continued to show, and the levels continued to rise as the rain fell. I was sticking with the two plateau rods as they were fairly central and I figured fish must pass over them as they made their way further up the arm. The long range rod after the windy boat episode was moved to a new spot and it was just a case of waiting.



Christmas Day was fast approaching and everyone was getting in the festive mood!

Monday morning saw more torrential rain. Shortly after lunchtime as I was observing more chocolate water creeping across one of my plateaus, I had a take on that rod. The debris was all around me, as I made my way out in the boat. It was very difficult to manoeuvre and the wind was not helping either. Due to the nature of the descending, sharp rocks in front; playing fish from the bank was not an option and eventually I got a small mirror into the net, along with a host of twigs and sticks, and made my way back to shore. An English guy called Mick had turned up earlier, so he took a quick shot of my first carp of the session and it was released. During the fight it had managed to move one of my other lines, so after I had rebaited both, I made my way out in the gusting wind and pelting rain, and placed them back into position. The only difference I made was to the rod the carp had moved. I now placed it on the opposite margin, as close to the edge as I could. Due to the mass of wooden debris it was placed on the edge of this floating raft in a depth of 7.5m. It wasn’t perfect but it would have to do! I was completely soaked and I was going through jackets in rotation like nobody’s business!

I had only just got dry, when the newly positioned rod was away. The tip was bent over and an angry fish was clearly demonstrating its disgust. I wanted to try and get the mainline away from the raft of debris before I took to the boat. I called too Mick who was close by for some assistance, and we both took to the boat. The next few moments were spent barking instructions at Mick, who was rowing towards the fish, and trying to keep the braid free of debris. Very soon we were over the carp, and it came to the top, it looked a nice fish, and into the net she obligingly went. We shook each other’s hands, like you do, and made our way back to a pontoon, as we had been blown down the arm by this point. We secured the boat, and I went to get my cradle. The Germans had seen the commotion and had come to see what the fuss was about. “Oh, Big One!” shouted Patrik. It was a big one, and I estimated 25kg, Patrik estimated 27. We would see, as a very fat, grey looking carp was hoisted off the ground and the scales slumped round to 24.5kg. It looked bigger than it actually was, and I guess it was lacking in length somewhat, but I had just caught a biggie and the weight didn’t seem to matter, as I crouched holding it for pictures in the pouring rain. My second carp of the session and it was an early Christmas cracker! Thank you ‘Cherpont’ Mick for your assistance, as I don’t think I could have done it on my own, in those testing conditions. I often cope, but when help is at hand there is no point ignoring it. It turned out that Patrik had caught a 21kg common thirty minutes before I caught my fish, so a bottle of champagne appeared. We were now celebrating Christmas early!


I could not believe what I saw in my landing net. It was the big grey fish I caught six days before now weighing 25kg+. An early Christmas present indeed!

The big fish seemed to really kick things off for me and over the next day I caught four more carp to 10 kilos. It was now turning into good sport! The rain had eased off but the debris was really building up in the arm. Every morning it would gather in the corner of the large bay, and slowly throughout the day it would work its way out, going round and round in circles. It was a real nightmare, and the only way to place a rod was to wait for a clear window of opportunity. Using the motor on the boat, it was possible to push debris back, far enough to drop a rod, and then carefully return to shore. Branches and logs would clog in the propeller and the rod had to be sunk far down to try and keep the line free of obstacles. It took some real patience!

On Wednesday the 18th two more English guys turned up to fish; Matt and Colin. Matt arrived with a bottle of Champagne from my sister!? He had tracked me down on Facebook and got in touch with one of my sisters before he left the UK; very kindly offering to bring out a Christmas present on her behalf. A supreme gesture I could not quite apprehend (I actually still have it in the back of my van to celebrate my first 30kg carp when it happens). They were great guys and as it turned out, they set up a couple of hundred yards either side of me. It was Col’s first Cassien trip, and Matt was a proper Cassien addict. His goal was a 20kg carp, and Colin was just hoping to catch. They also seemed to bring me Northern luck, as whenever they took to their boat, I seemed to get a run!



Recognise this fish? It is the same one I caught six days before.

Due to the fact the two Germans and I were catching with some regularity, young Philip decided we should have a 24hr competition! Not something you normally associate with carp fishing at Cassien? The challenge was on. Total individual overall weight would be the deciding outcome and I thought up a suitable prize. The loser would cook breakfast for the other two. The person in second place had to wash up. The winner had to do nothing. The competition was to run from 9am till the following morning. Patrik got off the mark first; it turned out to be a catfish. Naturally he tried to make this count, but the rules stated it was carp only; just like the WCC. In the afternoon I had a run. The fish fought incredibly hard and eventually a 12.5kg mirror was pulled over the net. I was in the lead! Nothing happened for the rest of the day, and as evening fell Patriik had a run. He arrived moments later smiling. By the look on his face I knew he had caught a good one; a 20.5kg common to be precise. I now had some work to do to catch him up. Thankfully at 2am I had a run from the far margin. Out in the boat the fish was going berserk ploughing through the debris and pulling the boat in all directions. I knew it was only a small fish, and I just had to land it. Back on dry land with my scrappy mirror, I was marvelled to see the scales register 8.5kg. I was back in the lead. In the morning Patrick wandered over to my swim. “Any carp” he asked? “Yes, one small one but it gives me a total weight of 21kg.” I replied grinning! “And I also catch a second one” he said laughing. “Another good common weighing 21kg, so I think I am the winner” I got well and truly beat in the last couple of hours, and I shook his hand. It was great fun, and poor Philip who thought up the competition failed to catch. Breakfast tasted great that morning as we both got waited on, hand and foot, and the washing up was a small price to pay for second place!

One very strange occurrence happened during the night of the 24hr competition. I was just falling to sleep at 10pm when I suddenly heard a commotion outside the bivvy. I heard a car pull up outside, and an excited and rather ‘high,’ group of French lads were congregated outside my bivvy door. “Catch carp” one of them shouted. “Boilies, what boilies you use? You catch carp?” I tried to gently explain it was late, I was sleeping, it was extremely cold, and could they please leave? My dogs were being useless as ever, and snoring away in the bivvy. I then recognised one of the lads from last year; harmless, but his timing as ever was impeccable. I told him to come back in the morning, and then he explained to me in his frantic manner, that from Nov to Feb he now only shoots wild boar! “Oh” I said, “That is nice to know.” He then got his single bore shotgun out of the car and started waving it around, proudly showing me the different cartridges he possessed, while his friends rolled joints in the car, and played French hip hop music at inappropriate levels. I decided at this point to play my generosity card, so I pulled a two kilo bag of Imperial Bait’s boilies out of the van, explained that it was the killer bait of the moment and he should try it next time he goes carp fishing; in March. He slowly registered the subtle hint and they promptly left. Needless to say, I slept with one eye open!



Matt demonstrated to us all why you should not unhook a fish in the water in the landing net. Ouch!

My two new German friends left a couple of days later. Patrik had probably had his best session at Cassien ever. Twenty fish including four commons over 20kg, including a monster 26.5kg specimen caught on his final day. Being the gentleman he is, he told Philip to move one rod to his ‘hot spot’. He had caught 18 carp from the weed bed. He would move his rod to where Philip had been fishing. He then caught the big common from Philip’s original spot one hour later! Philip graciously took the pictures through gritted teeth. It was his first Cassien session though and he had caught three nice carp to 18kg so he had had a result really. Sometimes that is the way carp fishing goes and Patrik was just on a roll.

I moved one rod to the vacant ‘hot spot’ after Patrik had left and settled back into the fishing. Over the next 24 hours I caught another five carp, one from the weedy hot spot and four from my big carp area. One capture in particular was rather special and quite incredible too! After my fourth trip out in the boat in the early hours to deal with another small carp, I was thinking it was about time another biggie put in an appearance. I placed the rod back out in the dark at 2am with a small PVA bag containing some chopped boilies and placed another ten boilies around it. Twenty minutes later I had a fast drop back. I wound down to a heavy weight on the end, moving very slowly to my right. Once over the fish in the boat, it soon came to the surface and I bundled it into the net. It was a big fish, and it looked quite familiar? Miraculously it turned out to be the same big fish I had caught just six days before at 24.5kg. I could not believe it, and it was caught from exactly the same place. It was freezing cold, so I slipped her into a sack and did not even think about weighing her. In the morning Matt came over to take a quick photo. We decided to weigh the fish after all, and the greedy character had put on more than half a kilo in six days. She now weighed 25.05kg. I was now extremely happy to see her again so soon. We took some quick shots in the water and I then pointed her in the direction of Matt’s swim, as I released her. Well you never know!



His finger was forgotten about when he caught this 50 on Christmas Eve. He got his wish after all.

Christmas day was fast approaching. I decided that I would cook a feast for Matt and Colin. They were to join me in the morning and we would eat like kings. Matt had caught a few by this point up to 19kg, but Colin was having a few issues with some other anglers encroaching on his water, as I was now too. A French guy was getting closer and closer to my spots each day. To give you an example, I went to the supermarket on Christmas Eve to get the food for our banquet. Colin stayed to look after the dogs. As soon as I had left, the French angler was out in his boat, placing his rods right next to mine. Colin is a big lad, and he wandered over to the cheeky so and so, and asked politely” What are you doing?” It was as if butter would not have melted in this guy’s mouth. He had done nothing wrong in his eyes, and it was quite acceptable as far as he was concerned. Colin was suffering from exactly the same problems further up the lake. His day was to come though!


Scrambled eggs with smoked salmon.


Bellinis with smoked salmon and caviar.

On the Eve of Christmas, Matt got his Cassien wish. Early in the evening I heard an everlasting run, and I am not quite sure what he was doing in his bivvy (!?), but eventually he appeared and grabbed the appropriate rod! There was some running commentary as the fish was played, and I guessed by the sudden whoops that he had got the 20kg+ carp he had come for. He had indeed and we later took shots of a super 22.9kg stunner. Christmas was looking very good at Cassien.


Two pates and caramelised onion served with toasts.


Turkey with ALL the trimmings.

The following day we met up at Chez Jakes for a lazy, sumptuous, six course menu. It was not your usual fodder for carp anglers but I wanted the day to be a grand affair and one we would always remember! We kicked off with scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, followed by Bellini’s with salmon and (cheap) caviar. The third course was two pates with caramelised onion served on toast followed by the main course; turkey with all the trimmings. As if we weren’t stuffed enough, a chocolate log was then devoured and finally cheese and biscuits finished us all off! No carp seemed to feed that day, but we all ate extremely well.


The traditional Yuletide Christmas log.

Boxing Day was supremely Col’s day. He appeared in my swim shortly after 9am. He had finally caught a Cassien carp. Sorry, he had caught a monster carp! We soon were watching Col struggling to hold the 28.5kg leviathan, as he beamed for his trophy shots. What a fish, and it actually turned out to be the carp my German friend Wolf had caught last April at 26.4kg. It is growing rapidly; look out Cassien!


Steptoe and son joined me on Christmas Day!

Over the next day or so I was now starting to get itchy feet. I knew Aviron was calling. My home last year and I planned to move there before someone else did. It was currently free, so I started to break camp, in order to carry out the moving routine. I caught a couple more fish to 14kg before I left, but I kind of sensed the action had faded at American Beach and it was time to go. I had caught 15 carp, but more importantly had had a superb session with some new found friends. That is what real carp fishing is all about. Enjoyment!


Boxing Day was Col's day. A truly monstrous carp!

It was now time to begin the second leg of my return to Cassien. For sentimental reasons I wanted to finish my first year’s adventure carping where it all started from, one year ago; in Aviron. It is here where I will continue my quest for that one very special fish. Join me and the dogs in part two when I shall recall my next chapter in my series.



My final fish before I left American Beach for the swim known as Aviron.

Catch you all soon. 

Jake and the dogs.

V diskuzi je 0 příspěvků.

Zobrazit diskuzi k tomuto článku

Zprávy od vody (10 n.)

Nejbližší kaprařské akceDalší

Žádné aktuální akce.

Všechny akce

Akční nabídky e-shopůVšechny slevy

Název lorem ipsum

Zvýhodněná originální Akce nulla augue urna, pretium a dictum eu.

cena: 2 987,- Kč

Produkt co houká a píska

Akce nulla augue urna, pretium a dictum eu, sagittis non elit. T scelerisque risus...

cena: 987,- Kč